A call from a friend about her daughter starting with her first menses and mother’s anxiety and concern about her daughter’s condition made me write about Menarche. (i.e. Starting of Menses for the first time in girls.)
What is Menstrual cycle - Flow of blood from vagina because of hormonal changes in female body.
A girl’s first menstrual cycle usually occurs at about age 12 but some girls experience their first menstrual cycle much earlier. There are few body changes which suggest about the starting of menses sooner or later. So even before she gets her first menstrual cycle, your daughter and you will be noticing other changes in her body:
Girls physical and emotional changes. -
Nature develops female body which is universal phenomenon and it’s beautiful. These are the changes are observed in their body.
- Mood swings and Irritability due to ongoing hormonal changes in body.
- Most girls start developing breast buds sometime between age 9 and 10.
- Pubic and Axillary hairs start appearing.
- Sometimes there can be white discharge from the vagina.
Parents responsibility and emotional support-
Parent play very important role in each phase of growing children. So, it’s the responsibility of parents, especially the mother, to explain to their daughters about Menses.
Initially you don't have to go in more details about the cycle. But here are few important points to be discussed with your girl.
- It is a natural and normal body process for every girl.
- Normal duration of this cycle is 3-5 days
- Cycle duration is 22-28 days, but this can vary by 1 week which is normal.
- Use of Sanitary pads and hygiene care.
- The blood is not like real blood. The contents and consistency is different. It's the mucous shedding of the uterus and vagina.
- Taking care of diet during Menses.
- Talk about the symptoms that may go along with her menstrual cycle, such as cramps, retaining water and weight fluctuation, mood swings, and headaches.
- Keeping hydrated by drinking water
Be sure to let your daughter know that she might not get her menstrual cycle every month right away. Irregular menses are common during the first year.
When to approach the Doctor-
Don’t panic if your daughter gets her first menstrual but be prepared. Have a discussion with your doctor
- When the flow of blood is for more duration and heavy.
- Menses come irregularly after they have become normal.
- Sudden weight gain.
- Extreme weakness.
I would request all mothers to try not to use the anti-inflammatory or analgesics from the very beginning of the menses. I know it's convenient for girls and mothers to avoid pain and other hassles, but it is not good for her long-term health.
Few helpful tips.
- Try to build her immunity strong.
- Lots of physical activities.
- Good diet with special emphasis on Calcium intake, Zinc rich food, Iron rich food Nuts and Omega3.
- Keeping Hydrated
- Sound sleep.
I have tried to put some common facts but if you have any query do contact me for your health and wellness.
All content and media on the Your Health Website is created and published online for informational purposes only. It is not intended to be a substitute for professional medical advice and should not be relied on as health or personal advice.